Week 3 - Metamorphosis
Development of any organism is pretty amazing, particularly for the more complex organisms (in which I would include insects). However, to fully appreciate that process in the insects we need to look more into a process called metamorphosis. Most insects at some point in their life cycle change from one form to another. This change is generally radical, and makes it really challenging to connect the two organisms based on appearance alone. Check out the readings below to get a better idea of this process.
- Article - Scientific American - How did insect metamorphosis evolve?
- Article/Activity - Mrs. Science Teacher - Incomplete vs. Complete Metamorphosis
- Article - Amateur Entomologists' Society - Insect Life Cycles
Video - Metamorphosis time lapse of a Monarch Butterfly
Video - Metamorphosis time lapse of a Cicada
Video - Insect Metamorphosis Overview
- What is the difference between incomplete and complete metamorphosis?
- What evolutionary advantage would metamorphosis serve?
- Are there examples of insects that never undergo metamorphosis? Why is that so?
- What other animals undergo metamorphosis?